Assembling the Handles
Greetings, my fellow knife enthusiasts. I hope life finds you well. I made a little progress on the two knives that are sitting on my workbench which is really encouraging, and I also found a design flaw that may serve as fatal on the Raven. Below are a few pics of this weekend's work.
I didn't take any pics of building the spacer for the Glaucus, but here is the whole knife fully assembled for the first time. Notice the lack of visible hardware. It worked!!! This hidden screw construction is going to add another level of sophistication to my knives.
Here's a view from the bottom of the Glaucus knife. This view really shows off the dovetail bolster feature.
Next, it's on to the Raven. As I indicated in an earlier post, the Raven will get standoffs in place of the usual spacer. Here I am turning some custom standoffs out of some 1/4" 416 stainless steel stock. It's a simple design, but I think that it will look good.
Standoffs all turned and lapped to final length.
Here's what the standoffs will look like installed. I'll call this one a win.
The Raven has been fully assembled now. I think it looks pretty darn good and It's fairly comfortable in the hand. I think I'll trim the length from the spine to the bottom of the handle a little bit as it feels slightly large and balance it out. Other than that, I think I like it.
Here's a spine view to show off the standoffs. I kind of like this look. You might be seeing more of this in years to come.
I did hit a little snag when it comes to this Raven knife. This, being my first flipper, it had an inherent design flaw as some of you flipper aficionados may have seen from the start. With the placement of the flipper tab, I can't develop enough torque to flip the blade completely open. I know that when things are tuned up that the action would improve, but it still wouldn't be up to my high standards. The tab really needed to be located forward of the pivot to get the proper flip to it. I'll revisit the design at a later date to work out the issue. For now, I'll just trim off the tab and turn this flipper into a standard liner lock. Easy fix.
Thanks for following along with me on this build and for your interest in my work. I hope you all have a great week.
- Brandant Robinson