top of page
  • Writer's pictureBrandant Robinson

Finished My First Automatic!!!

Well, this was by far the funnest project that I have worked on in a very long time. It wasn't without its setbacks, but I persevered and came out with a great knife in the end. Here are a few pics of the final steps of this build.

Here is the blade with the bevels ground in and a hand-rubbed satin finish. Looking good.

I got a new phone with a much better camera. I can now take much better closeups. Here are the insides of the two liners after they have been jeweled.

I decided to do a little texturing on the bolsters to give the knife more interest. I think this kind of texture looks great, especially since the front bolsters on this knife are quite large.

I anodized the liners to a nice bronze color which really goes well with the lightning strike carbon fiber scales. I love anodizing titanium.

Here's the blade after my mark has been etched in and the edge has been sharpened. Time for final assembly.

Here are all the parts of the knife ready for final assembly. 35 parts in all if you count the machine screws.

Back side of the completed knife.

Spine of the completed knife.

Front side of the open knife.

Closed view of the completed knife.

Here's a short video showing the knife in action.

I honestly never thought it would be possible to make an automatic knife, but I proved myself wrong. I'm extremely pleased with how this knife turned out. For a prototype, I don't have too many flaws. The next one I will work out the few kinks that I had with this one. I've got a few ideas on how to make it better, but all in all, it exceeded my expectations. Thanks so much for following along with me on this build. Next up, a small pocket knife for my daughter.

- Brandant Robinson

31 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page