Working on the Pride Knife
With all the holiday fun, my shop time was very limited this last weekend. I did, however, get a chance to slip out for a couple of hours and managed to get the pocket clip and the pivot system completed. Here's a look at how the knife is coming along.
Testing the hardness of the blade. It's a solid 61 HRC, which is exactly where I want it for this blade.
This is the pocket clip screwed to the back end of the spacer. It was a little tricky to drill and tap the screw holes, but I managed alright.
Okay, bending titanium is kind of a pain in the rear without a good metal brake, which I don't have. So, I broke a couple clips before I finally got one to bend properly. The end clip was worth the effort.
I didn't take any pics of the pivot system, or the assembly of the pivot, but here is one with the bushing being measured by the micrometer. I leave the bushing about 0.002" longer than the combined thickness of the blade plus the two washer to give the blade a little clearance.
Here's the first full assembly of the knife. The next step will be to shape the handle and grind the blade. Looking good so far. The overall looks of the knife will soon changes really drastically when the Micarta gets finished and the zirconium is anodized. This is going to look sweet! More to come next week. Thanks for following along on my knife-making adventure.
- Brandant Robinson